DO YOU KNOW HOW TO GIVE INSTRUCTIONS IN ENGLISH? WHAT SORT OF INSTRUCTIONS CAN YOU GIVE SOMEONE?
GIVING INSTRUCTION IS AN EXPRESSION THAT IS USED IN ORDER THAT ORDER THAT OTHER PERSON DOES WHAT WE INSTRUCT OR REQUEST, OR GIVING IMPERATIVE TO OTHER PEOPLE FOR TO DO OR NOT TO DO SOMETHING, GIVING INSTRUCTION SOMETIMES CALLED COMPERATIVE/PROHIBITION. THE TENSE USED IN GIVING INSTRUCTION IS SIMPLE PRESENT.
HOW TO MAKE A CUP OF COFFEE?
HOW TO SEARCH FOR A TOPIC ON GOOGLE?
HOW TO MAKE A CALL ON YOUR CELL PHONE? OR LISTEN TO YOUR VOICE MAIL?
There are two parts to giving instructions. What we call Sequencers and then theactions.
sequencers are the words that help order your instructions
It is like the 1, 2, 3, 4 of your actions.
The most common are
After that, …
Before you begin, (you should . . .)
The first thing you do is . . . .
I would start by . . .
The best place to begin is . . .
To begin with,
The next step is to . . .
The next thing you do is . . .
Once you’ve done that, then . . .
When you finish that, then . . .
The last step is . . .
The last thing you do is . . .
In the end,
When you’ve finished,
When you’ve completed all the steps,
do one of three things.
1) Tell people what is necessary.
2) what is wrong.
3) what is not necessary.
So now that you know the basics…here is an example:
How to Make a Cup of Coffee
First you need to buy some coffee and a coffee maker.
Then you have to put the water into the bottom of the coffee maker.
You needn’t boil the water, cold water is fine.
Next you have to put the coffee in the coffee compartment and screw the top of coffee maker on.
After that you need to put the coffee pot onto the stove.
Then turn the stove on hight and wait. You don’t have to move the coffee pot.
When the water boils and goes into the upper part of the pot you then have to remove the pot from the heat.
Finally you pour some coffee into a cup, add sugar and milk and enjoy.
1.use verb as commanding word in the form of infinitive without to :
Ø Sit down.
Ø Sweep the floor.
Ø Clean the whiteboard.
2.use Be + Adjective or noun or adverb :
· Be careful!
· Be quite!
· Be on time1
3.use the word Don’t + infinitive verb :
* Don’t climb!
* Don’t do it!
* Don’t let them in…
4.To make the instruction be politer, we can used please that put in front of sentences or back.
~ Please, wake up. / Wake up, please.
~ Please, be quite. / Be quite, please.
~ Please, do your homework. / Do your homework. Please.
Also, mostly when there’s something not suitable with our expectations. We will certainly complain to someone who had made us disappointed. Whether it’s hotel service, restaurant service or other service. Here are some configuration of making a good complaining and how to give a good respond :
Making a Complain:
Here are useful expressions you can use when complaining:
· I’m afraid I have to make a serious complaint.
· Look, I’m sorry to trouble you, but….
· Excuse me, I’m afraid…
· Excuse me, there seems to be something wrong with…
· Excuse me, there appears to be something wrong…
· I wonder if you could help me…..
· I’ve got a bit of a problem here, you see……
· Do you think you could……?
· I’m sorry to have to say this, but….
· Would you mind (doing)….?
· I wish you wouldn’t mind….
· I do wish you could….
· Wouldn’t it be a good idea to/ not to….
I have a complaint to make. …
Sorry to bother you but…
I’m sorry to say this but…
I’m afraid I’ve got a complaint about…
I’m afraid there is a slight problem with…
Excuse me but there is a problem about…
I want to complain about…
I’m angry about…
Responding to complaints
Accepting a Complaint:
· Oh, I’m sorry about that.
· I can’t tell you how sorry I am
· I wish it never happened
· Oh dear, I’m really sorry
· I’m so sorry, I didn’t realize
· I just don’t know how to say.
· I just don’t know what to say
I’m so sorry, but this will never occur / happen again.
I’m sorry, we promise never to do the same mistake again.
I’m really sorry; we’ll do our utmost/best not to do the same mistake again.
Delaying a Complaint
· I suggest you leave it with us and we’ll see what can be done.
· I suggest you leave it with us and we’ll see what we can do.
· I’m afraid the manager/boss isn’t in at the moment. Could you call later?
· I’m afraid we can’t help you at the moment. Could you leave your contact phone number and address? We will contact you soon.
Rejecting a Complaint
· Well, I’m afraid there is nothing we can do about it actually.
· Well, I’m afraid there isn’t much we can do about it.
Sorry there is nothing we can do about it.
I’m afraid, there isn’t much we can do about it.
We are sorry but the food is just alright.
I have a complaint to make.
Your pizza is just too salty.
I’m sorry to say this but
your food is inedible.
1. I’m afraid I’ve got a complaint about your child.He’s too noisy .
2. I’m afraid there is a slight problem with the service in this hotel.
3.Excuse me but you are standing on my foot.
4. I want to complain about the noise you are making.
5. I’m angry about the way you treat me.